Undeniably, trail cameras such as those by Game Camera World could be a helpful and effective tool for scouting wherein it could result in a successful hunting.
Hunting commenced millions of years ago and is greatly rooted in the culture of human beings. It is the practice of tracking, trailing or pursuing animals with the intention or aim of trapping or killing them.
The hunting of wild or feral animals or wildlife is generally carried out by people as a recreational activity, for food, pest control, to get rid of predators that could pose danger to domesticated animals as well as to people, or for the purpose of trade.
Hunting versus Poaching
Though many are aware of what hunting is they seem not to realize or grasp what the distinction is between poaching. Animal poaching is the unlawful hunting of animals that are endangered as well as the hunting of faunas that are permitted to be hunted a certain time of the year only, or else hunting is prohibited. The reason why the hunting of certain animals is permitted is because of organizations for wildlife and fish within an area arriving at a conclusion that there is an ample quantity of these animals which could be hunted in particular seasons of every year.
There are specified punishments when one poaches or breaks the parameters of hunting. Depending on the seriousness or gravity of the offense, a hefty amount of fines as well as possible time in jail are imposed for hunting illegally and poaching of animals that are in danger of extinction.
Since hunting is allowed only during hunting seasons, hunting typically transpires within prairies or forests wherein birds, deer, bears, as well as smaller sized animals are likely to get hunted by other animals as well. On the other hand, poachers often times go to places like Africa or in plains wherein endangered animals like rhinos, lions, tigers, elephants, and other vanishing animals wander.
Last year, DEA delivered its statistics on rhino and elephant poaching. The report showed a drop in the number of poached animals. Here are a few significant as well as alarming statistics coming from the said report:
- In South Africa, 508 rhinos were poached compared 688 rhinos poached in 2017
- In Kruger National Park, 292 rhinos were poached compared to 333 rhinos in 2017
- in KwaZulu-Natal, 83 rhinos were poached compared to 163 rhinos in 2017
- The poaching of elephants is on the rise as 58 elephants in the Kruger were poached
- About 400 suspects were arrested, of which 162 were in Kruger, on various charges which includes poaching of rhinos, and the Hawks arrested 13 traffickers of wildlife while in transit to Hong Kong, China and Vietnam. Of the 13, 8 are South Africans and 5 are Chinese nationals
- The trading of rhino horns: Since the moratorium or suspension of the domestic trade of rhino horn was lifted in 2017, a tote up of 28 permits were approved and issued for the trade of rhino horns and 12 issued permits were actually given to 16 purchasers for the sale of rhino horns weighing 1,219kg.